License / Registration key enabled software

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 28 05:48:57 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> Mike Playle <usenet at vfx.org.uk> writes:
>

>>License keys exist to make it easier for honest users to remain
>>honest.
>

> What doubletalk. If usage restrictions were in *any* way what end users
> wanted, they'd choose software that has it over software that does
> not.
>
> Usage restrictions serve *no* want of the end user.

No, but usage reporting is very important to large organisations with
enterprise copies of their applications. They want to stay in
compliance, and it's notoriously hard to track usage.

>>For instance a customer might want to buy a license to use your
>>software on up to 5 machines at once, but still have the software
>>installed on every machine in the company.
>

> This need is adequately served by not imposing usage restrictions. Any
> effective imposition of usage restrictions is hostile to the wants of
> the user.
>
> If usage restrictions are brought into the picture, it is to serve the
> wants of someone else, *not* the end user. It is disingenuous to
> suggest otherwise.

So you're suggesting that most people would rather be dishonest?

Otherwise you might as well say that any costs associated with using a
piece of software (including purchase pricing) are "hostile to the wants
of the user".

>>License systems like FlexLM can work here, to make it easier for
>>them to ensure that they comply with the terms of the license.
>

> This is describing a want of the copyright holder, *not* the end user.

I think your view is a little biased here.

>>Forget about the people who'll crack your software. Ask yourself
>>whether a license key scheme offers anything to the people who won't
>>try to crack it. If it does, then actually implementing the scheme
>>becomes trivial; if it doesn't, then leave it out, because it won't
>>help against crackers.
>

> Very sound advice, I agree entirely.

As do I. The sad thing is that the people most concerned about
protection of intellectual property are often the ones whose IP is least
likely to need protection.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119