SQLwaterheadretard3 (Was: Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?)

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 23:00:47 EDT 2006

mensanator at aol.com wrote:

> Sure, errors happen with static typing. After all, the values still
> have to match. Dynamic typing allows for more potential errors and,
> thanks to Murpy's Law, I will have a much bigger problem with data
> integrity.

If this was a java or c++ list, all this rant would be more
understandable, but bashing dynamic typing in a dynamic language list
seems pointless at best (as this has been beaten to death over and over
again), flamebait at worst. It should be clear by now that there are
two (at least) alternatives:
1. Validate the data in python before (or at the same time when)
feeding the DB.
2. Forget sqlite and use a statically typed DBMS; it's not like there
is a shortage of them.

Massaging your SQL statements to make up for the lack of type checking
(even if this is always possible)  would be a bad idea for more than
one reasons (complexity,portability,performance), so you'd better not
go down this road.

George