Help me use my Dual Core CPU!

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Sep 13 06:58:01 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:
>> Nobody seems to have mentioned POSH http://poshmodule.sourceforge.net
>> which used almost to work. I assume it's busted for later pythons and
>> the author says it's just a demonstration.
>
> Yeah, it's been mentioned.
>
>> Anandtech demoed an 8 core mac pro machine and were unable to "max out
>> the cpus".
>
> You mean with POSH??!  And I see a 4 core machine on Apple's site but
> not an 8 core.

No I think they tried to just run a lot of processes at once and they got the 8
core by just substituting the two dual cores with two quads.

>> Python needs some kind of multi cpu magic pretty quickly or we'll
>> all end up using erlang :)
>
> Heh, yeah ;).
>
>> As for subprocess I don't see it as much use unless we can at least
>> determine the number of cpu's and also set the cpu affinity easy with
>> occam maybe not in python.
>
> I haven't looked at Occam.  I've been sort of interested in Alice

I used occam back in the eighties with ibm pcs and these 4 transputer plugin
cards. One of my bosses was Scottish MP and heavily into macro economic
modelling (also an inmos supporter). I seem to remember doing chaotic
gauss-seidel with parallel equation block solving, completely pointless as the
politicos just ignored any apparent results. Back of the envelope is good enough
for war and peace it seems.

Is suppose Alice isn't related to the "Alice Machine" which was a tagged pool
processor of some kind. I recall it being delivered just when prolog and the
like were going out of fashion and it never got faster than a z80 on a hot day.

--
Robin Becker