Verify an e-mail-adress - syntax and dns

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 25 10:26:23 EDT 2006

Christophe wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
>
>>By memory, in an thread about the same topic just a few days ago, Fredrik
>>Lundh posted a link to Perl's FAQs that suggests a method for "validating"
>>email addresses: treat it like a password and ask the user to type it
>>twice. That will protect against simple typos and input errors.
>

> I hate that thing. When I see that, I type my email once and copy/paste
> into the second edit box. This is useless AND annoying at the same time.

Probably safe to say it's a little less useful when the text field
contents are visible, but the classic validator for hidden fields.

It might surprise you to realise that not everyone in the world is a
touch typist, and for them (since they are often looking at the keyboard
rather than the screen) it's not an unreasonable validator.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119