Outbound port on sockets

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sun Sep 17 21:01:42 EDT 2006

Grant Edwards wrote:
> Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
[Bryan Olson had written:]
>>> It's not the issue here, but to specify the outgoing port
>>> call bind(('', portnum)) before connect().
>> I wasn't aware of that. Cool.
>
> It's an interesting thing to know, but I've been doing TCP
> stuff for many years and never run across a situation where
> it's something I needed to do.  If somebody in this thread
> actually does need to do it, I'd be curious bout why...

One made-up example: Unix traditionally restricts port
numbers below 1024 so that only root can use them. One might
have a white-list of trusted Unix machines, and insist
requests come from a port below 1024.

I used the empty string for the address, which Python's socket
module resolves to INADDR_ANY, but you can also use bind() to
set a particular adapter.

--
--Bryan