Talking to marketing people about Python

gregarican greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 00:29:39 EDT 2006

Lots of folks have pointed out large scale Python success stories
ranging from NASA to Google to Amazon. Such companies should make for
good PHB fodder in your argument. Most likely if the product manager is
just a drone you can throw in some other acceptable norm. Since
IronPython and Microsoft's .NET CLR are bound you can state that Python
is a language that runs on .NET.

Kind of like another language I work with when I get a chance. I like
Smalltalk and there's a variant that runs in the new Microsoft Vista
WPE environment (http://vistascript.net). If this was a mature option
and if I was to pitch this to a PHB or some other corporate tool I
would classify Smalltalk as an option that sits atop the cutting edge
Microsoft WPE framework.

These in-routes seem to be ways that dynamic/scripting/fringe languages
are gaining traction in larger organizations. Just wrap them up into a
Java VM, .NET CLR, etc. and off you go :-)