xmingw and f2py

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Sep 8 06:30:04 EDT 2006

Flavio <fccoelho at gmail.com> wrote:
>  has anyone tried to build extensions for win32 on Linux using
>  xmingw?

I don't know about xmingw, but we use mingw on linux to compile stuff
for windows all the time.  (We use the mingw package under debian)

We build extensions using mingw but linked to the link library of the
official python2.4 build.

Here are some instructions which you'll need to adapt to your setup

/misc/windows is a smb mounted windows machine

# Linking with the distributed python
#
# http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/python/cygwin.html
#
# On a windows machine
# install the latest windows python (2.4.3.msi) from www.python.org
# Copy the header files into the mingw installation
cp -av /misc/windows/Python24/include /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/include/python2.4
# Download pexports from here
# http://www.emmestech.com/software/cygwin/pexports-0.43/download_pexports.html
# unpack pexports.exe
unzip pexports-0.43.zip
# Fetch python dll from the windows machine
cp -av /misc/windows/WINNT/system32/python24.dll .
# Extract the exported symbols
wine pexports python24.dll > python24.def
# Create the link library
/usr/i586-mingw32msvc/bin/dlltool --dllname python24.dll --def python24.def --output-lib libpython2.4.a
# Move the files into the correct place
mv -i python24.dll python24.def libpython2.4.a /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/

After that lot you can build python extensions with mingw under linux,
using -lpython2.4