storing variable names in a list before they are used?

Farshid Lashkari no at spam.com
Fri Sep 29 16:06:51 EDT 2006

Hi John

John Salerno wrote:
> how would I go about putting these variable names in a list? I know I
> can't leave them as above, but if I put them in as a string, then how do
> I later "transform" them into an actual variable for assign, such as:
>
> first_name = widget.get_text()
>
> Is there some kind of idiom that does this sort of work?

What scope do you want these variable names to show up in? For example,
if you want them to be defined in the global scope then you can do the
following:

name = 'first_name'

globals()[name] = widget.get_text()

print first_name

If you want these variables to be assigned to an object then you can use
setattr():

name = 'first_name'

setattr(obj,name,widget.get_text())

print obj.first_name