a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:19:08 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> I submit that a programmer who knows *only* one programming language
> can never be an expert in that language; it is only exposure to
> multiple tools and ways of programming that can grow a one-trick pony
> into an expert.

Well, it all depends on the definition of "expert". Python is written
in C, so if  by
expert of Python you mean somebody who knows its internal working, its
is clear
that that person must know C. However, even knowing Python only gives
you
a lot of "multiple tools and ways of programming", much more than
knowing
Java or Visual Basic. That was my point.

Also, I believe that a person who knows Python has no reason to learn
Java or Visual Basic (except for pragmatic purposes). After Python I
learned Scheme and if I had time I would
give a look at Haskell, or some other different language. BTW I decided
not to learn
Ruby it is not really different from Python in terms of learning "new
ways of programming".

 Michele Simionato