EyeDB Object Database (ODBMS) - Python wrapper

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Tue Sep 19 01:45:18 EDT 2006

GinTon wrote:
> EyeDB is a free ODBMS based on the ODMG 3 specification with
> programming interfaces for C++ and Java. It is very powerfull, mature,
> safe and stable. In fact, it was developed in 1992 for the Genome View
> project althought rewritten in 1994, and has been used in a lot of
> bioinformatics projects
>
> http://www.eyedb.org/

I've added this very interesting database to the selection case:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Persist

> Python does not have any programming interface to ODBMS and I believe
> that it would be very interesting that the Python community could
> access to a great object database like this one.
>
> If somebody is interested could to using SIP as Python wrapper. PyQT4
> bindings were made with SIP
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
>
> These are the conclusions of several Python wrappers that shows that
> SIP generates the fastest wrappers:
> http://people.web.psi.ch/geus/talks/europython2004_geus.pdf
>
> *  Manual wrapping is still fastest and most versatile
> *  SIP, Boost and Babel generate native extension modules with low
> overhead
> *  SWIG-generated modules rely on pure Python wrapper module and
> introduce a large overhead
> *  Wrapper tool highlights:
>      - SIP generates the fastest wrappers
>      - SWIG is mature and well documented
>      - Boost.Python most elegant integration of C++ and Python
>      - Babel supports languages as both target and source

I will take this information in account when selecting a binding:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Binding

Possibly more important that speed is the simplicity, e.g. how simple
is it to produce the wrapper and how simple is it to update the
wrapper.