How to write UNIX daemons in Python?

gnewsg at gmail.com gnewsg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 04:59:11 EDT 2006

Hi all. I've just finished to write an FTP daemon in Python.
To do things well I'd like to write an 'insteller' to permit the end
user to 'deeply' install the package inside the system. In details I
would like that installer is able to do the following operations:

- copy ftpd.py in /usr/bin.
- depending on the system, it should be able to determinate where
service startup directory is located (for example /etc/init.d)  and
copy a script able to automatically run /usr/ftpd.py at startup.
- optionally install a manual callable with "man ftpd".
- many other operations about the installation of a package.

What should I use to do something like that? Do I have to use
distutils? Do I have to use third party packages? Do I have to write a
"setup.py" and solve the problem manually?
This last solution is problematic becouse, for (dumb) example, Debian
wants executable/programs to be located in /usr/bin while Fedora uses
another path (for example /usr/sbin).

Another question: what about .deb, .rpm, [...] packages?
Does it possible to use them with Python programs?
Resolving third party dependancies by using them could be a nice thing.

Best regards