Python programs always open source?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 19 22:11:02 EDT 2006

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Write your program in Python, and you can ignore the Python
> > license when you distribute your own work. We'd love to see you
> > distribute it under a free software license, but the license of
> > Python has no legal effect on your decision.
>
> Given that many people distribute (enough of) the interpreter with
> their Python programs I wouldn't like the above to be regarded as a
> blanket statement that the Python license doesn't have to be
> considered when distributing the interpreter with program source.

Yes, this is true; I was deliberately omitting the case where parts of
Python *are* being redistributed. How about this:

Write your program in Python, distribute it without including any part
of Python itself, and you can ignore the Python license. We'd love to
see you distribute your work under a free software license, but the
license of Python has no legal effect on your decision in that case.

--
 \                       "Nature abhors a moron."  -- Henry L. Mencken |
Ben Finney