sending emails using python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 7 11:21:39 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-07, Tim Williams <tim at tdw.net> wrote:

>>  Wouldn't you use a SMTP client to send email?
>>
>>  I would, but I don't use exchange server. :)
>>
>> The one exchange server I used in the past didn't accept SMTP
>> mail.
>>
>> errr, I used to admin Exchange, if it does accept SMTP then
>> how could it function as a live mail server?
>
> Did you mean *doesn't accept* ??

One presumes he did.

> There are a couple of possibilities at least, of the top of my
> head:
>
> * The IMC / IMS (smtp connector) is located on a different
>   server within its Exchange organisation, or a DMZ'ed
>   exchange server that is only used for SMTP.
>
> * The server doesn't accept SMTP from local IP ranges, only
>   from external (ie inbound email)

I believe it was the latter.  I'm pretty sure there was only
one server.  When I first started at that company it did accept
SMTP connections on it's internal network interface.

> Outlook / Exchange clients use MAPI, internal SMTP is only a
> requirement if you have non-MAPI clients sending email through
> the server.

And BOFH was horrified by non-MS software, so he shut off IMAP
support and SMTP support on the internal network as a way to
force everybody to switch to Outlook.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  This ASEXUAL
                                  at               PIG really BOILS