SQLwaterheadretard3 (Was: Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?)

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 8 18:02:36 EDT 2006

In <1157749692.092338.240820 at m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
mensanator at aol.com wrote:

> Ben Sizer wrote:
>> I don't think so... it doesn't take much to say that the module
>> implements a subset of SQL but stores ignores data types.
>
> So I can't just say
>
> WHERE qty=12
>
> I have to say
>
> WHERE (qty=12) OR (qty="12")

No you just write the first and don't stuff strings into that column.
It's your choice after all.

> Do you know what INNER JOIN means?
>
> Do you know how important it is to a relational database?
>
> Can you explain how an INNER JOIN can even work, in theory,
> with dynamic data types?

The same as with static types!?  Where's the problem?

table_a:

id    name
----- ----------
42    bob
'foo' methusalem
'42'  gaylord

table_b:

id    age
----- ------
42    23
'foo' 1000
0.5   None

Join on `id`:

id    name       age
42    bob        23
'foo' methusalem 1000

> The implications of violating the SQL Language Specification
> are much more serious than you think.

Or not so serious than you think.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch