What's the best way to communicate between processes?

Wed Sep 27 05:32:02 EDT 2006

In message <1159346472.574859.64130 at i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
awmcclain.nospam at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm thinking about coding some sort of 'local notify server' in twisted
> (basically just listening to a socket and then passing the information
> to the IM bot), then connecting to it via a python socket in django and
> passing some serialized/pickled data.

That sounds like the right sort of thing. I've done this sort of thing
myself, though I've been careful not to use any language-specific
communication formats.

> I worry about two requests
> connecting to the 'notify server' at once, though, because i *cannot*
> hang my web server.

Your Web server won't hang. The particular Web server thread/process waiting
for the request to be serviced will be held up, and so of course will the
particular user sitting in front of the browser waiting for a response from
that thread/process, but nobody else will notice anything.