Talking to marketing people about Python

codefire tony.bedford at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 05:21:39 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	Unfortunately, if management goes further down the page, they find
> Ruby and "D" (when did that get out) both rated so many up arrows they
> had to use shorthand notation to represent 14 arrows...

Yes, there is no doubt Ruby is gaining traction - mostly due to the
success of Ruby on Rails. I was in the Ruby community in the very early
days and it was like being in a quiet backwater. As soon as ROR came on
the scene the whole thing just exploded.

I chose Python over Ruby because it has more maturity and stability (in
terms of the product). Python does the job and does it well and is
steadily growing and improving.

D has been around for several years at least. It doesn't really compete
with Python though. But not sure if it would be suitable for the
product mentioned at the start of this thread.

Cheers,
Tony