"filtered view" upon lists?

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Tue Sep 12 15:12:04 EDT 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
 >> I think SQL views are the direct analog.
 >>
 > I don't think they are. If you add a non-conforming row to a SQL view
it doesn't appear int he view. If you modify a row in an updateable view
so it no longer confirms with the view's conditions it disappears from
the view.

Me and my wording again: I typed 'direct analog' but meant 'somewhat
analog'.

 > Also you don't say whether changes to l are supposed to be reflected
in f in the same way that changes to f are reflected in l.

Right. Yes, the synchronicity (a word?) is meant to be in both directions.

 > It might be better if you were to explain your use case: what is this
beast supposed to be for?

I have a database of interconnected objects. Each object has a list
tuples; these tuples hold references to other objects and details about
the type of connection.
The 'views' I am imagining are sub-lists of this one list, based on the
connection types. Order is important here, that's why I'm not using sets.
BTW: I have gone the way of nested lists before and found it too rigid
and complicated to use.

 >> A bit clearer now?
 >>
 >Hardly at all. Frankly it doesn't seem as though you really know what
 > the specifications are yourself, so you can hardly expect us to
divine > them by use of our psychic powers. Besides which, psychic
powers cost > extra ;-)

Right again. I'm not sure what I want yet as I'm still exploring ideas.
If something /like/ the above had existed (which by now I'm gathering is
not the case) I'd just adapted my ideas to the specs given.

 > So give us that use case so we get a bit more insight into why you
even see the need for such a thing and how you want it ti behave. Or is
all this just theoretical?

No no, its very much real. Just not as fleshed out as it might be ---
I'm sort of an explorative coder; I usually don't know how something is
going to work until it works.

Thx for the effort :)
wildemar