Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need tobe?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Sep 13 03:45:02 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-13, Delaney, Timothy (Tim) <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> This is just an idea of mine, nothing I expect python to adapt.
>> But just suppose the language allowed for words in bold. A word
>> in bold would be considered a reserved word, a word in non bold
>> would be an identifier.
>
> Exactly how am I supposed to use my text editor to make words bold? Is
> every text editor supposed to understand a "python format" for code?

The standard answer here to people complaining about their editor not
working well with python is that they should use a better editor.

> Besides, I don't like bold for keywords (or anything in code)

So? I don't like to append an "_" to make a reserved keyword into
an identifier. What individual people like or not is not a big
concern.

> - I like
> my keywords blue (RGB 0, 0, 255). Of course, with a "python format", I
> could make *my* keywords blue. But I can pretty much guarantee that my
> preferred editor will not ever understand "python format".

<Shrug>, Different options are possible, in a file the keywords
could just be prefixed with a Ctrl-K, and depending on the editor or its
setting, this could be shown bold or blue or whatever. I don't care
about the specifics at this point. I just wanted to make clear there
is the option to make/show the distiction between identifiers and keywords
more explicitly.

--
Antoon Pardon