Code Golf Challenge : 1,000 Digits Of Pi

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 13:41:20 EDT 2006

Carl Drinkwater wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Code Golf's 12th challenge has just been added to the site.  It asks you
> to calculate the first 1,000 digits of Pi - Something I'm sure most of
> you have thought about, but never done.  You can see the challenge at :
>
>    http://codegolf.com/1000-digits-of-pi
>
> For those who haven't heard of codegolf.com, it can be described as
> "allowing you to show off your code-fu by trying to solve coding
> problems using the least number of keystrokes."
>
> The site currently supports Perl, PHP, Python and Ruby with Scheme to
> (hopefully) follow soon.  Your entries are automatically executed and
> scored - No need to wait for someone to validate your code.
>
> Other challenges include implementing the Vigenere Cipher, Prime
> factors, SHA-256 Hashing as well as the obvious 99 Bottles Of Beer.  All
> of the challenges are competitive but there is still scope to well in
> them, even if you're new to the site.
>
> I hope some of you will find this interesting, and sorry for disturbing
> you if not!
>
> Have fun,
> Carl.

Here's a thought: for your next contest, why not issue a
                  challenge to see who can write a scoreboard
                  that actually works?

Overall:

This Challenge's Best Entries [View All]
(View the Overall | Perl | PHP | Python | Ruby leaderboard.)

Rank User       Size Language Score [?]
1st  primo       62  Ruby     10,000 (v12)
2nd  jix         65  Ruby      9,538 (v7)
3rd  MadOnion    92  Ruby      6,739 (v4)
4th  jojo       112  Ruby      5,535 (v6)
5th  zeriod     134  Ruby      4,626 (v6)
6th  kmeyer     151  Ruby      4,105 (v3)
7th  dseverin   159  Ruby      3,899 (v7)
8th  bearophile 165  Python    3,757 (v5)
9th  ToastyX    167  Php       3,712 (v20)
10th Leafy      181  Php       3,425 (v8)

Perl:

This Challenge's Best Entries [View All]
(View the Overall | Perl | PHP | Python | Ruby leaderboard.)

Rank User   Size  Language Score [?]
1st  _W_      183 Perl     10,000 (v2)
2nd  jojo     524 Perl      3,492 (v2)
3rd  zeriod 1,009 Perl      1,813 (v7)

PHP:

This Challenge's Best Entries [View All]
(View the Overall | Perl | PHP | Python | Ruby leaderboard.)

Rank User    Size  Language Score [?]
1st  ToastyX   167 Php      10,000 (v20)
2nd  Leafy     181 Php       9,226 (v8)
3rd  jojo      539 Php       3,098 (v3)
4th  Theory    660 Php       2,530 (v1)
5th  zeriod  1,002 Php       1,666 (v1)
6th  skauert 1,002 Php       1,666 (v1)
7th  Makan   1,002 Php       1,666 (v1)
8th  _W_     1,002 Php       1,666 (v4)
9th  Stormx  1,004 Php       1,663 (v3)

Python:

This Challenge's Best Entries [View All]
(View the Overall | Perl | PHP | Python | Ruby leaderboard.)

Rank User       Size Language Score [?]
1st  primo       69  Python   10,000 (v11)
2nd  bearophile 165  Python    4,181 (v5)
3rd  jojo       557  Python    1,238 (v1)

Ruby:

This Challenge's Best Entries [View All]
(View the Overall | Perl | PHP | Python | Ruby leaderboard.)

Rank User     Size Language Score [?]
1st  primo     62  Ruby     10,000 (v12)
2nd  jix       65  Ruby      9,538 (v7)
3rd  MadOnion  92  Ruby      6,739 (v4)
4th  jojo     112  Ruby      5,535 (v6)
5th  zeriod   134  Ruby      4,626 (v6)