BaseHTTPServer weirdness

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 12 14:52:52 EDT 2006

Ron Garret <rNOSPAMon at flownet.com> writes:

>In article <mailman.325.1158052624.5279.python-list at python.org>,
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>> I wouldn't necessarily say you are wrong here, It's just that the cgi
>> module has sort of "just growed", so it isn't conveniently factyored for
>> reusability in other contexts. Several people (including me) have taken
>> a look at it with a view to possible re-engineering and backed away
>> because of the difficulty of maintaining compatibility. Python 3K will
>> be an ideal oppoertunity to replace it, but until then it's probably
>> going to stay in the same rather messy but working state.

>It's not necessary to re-engineer cgi, just cutting and pasting and
>editing the code as I've done would seem to suffice.

>But all I'm really looking for here at this point is confirmation that
>I'm not in fact doing something stupid.  In the past I've found that
>nine times out of ten if I find myself wanting to rewrite or add
>something to a Python module it's an indication that I'm doing something
>wrong.

Well if it's any consolation; that's exactly what I did - cut about 7 lines
from CGIHTTPSERVER into my do_POST method.  Maybe we're both stoopid.  This
was at least 3 years ago before I moved on to Quixote and then
CherryPy/TurboGears but I recall thinking at the time that it was probably
just one of those little cracks that show up from time to time in the library
(there aren't so very many of them).

Eddie