R.S.I. solutions?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Sep 26 09:30:04 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>  Paddy schrieb:
> > All this keyboarding has finally caught up with me and I'm getting
> > aches in my fingers.
>  But I can share some other advice: go to a physiotherapist and let him
>  show you some exercises for the back. My problems (both lower arms)
>  stemmed from my back - even though that seems a bit strange at
>  first.

This is excellent advice... I was diagnosed with tendonitis over 5
years ago now.  I found the medical people generally hopeless, but the
physios really know their stuff (this is in the UK also).

I'm improving now though, but it is a long process.  I tried lots of
technical aids, but in the end it is the simple things that helped me
the most

1) See the physio.

2) Get your workplace right! chair height, screen height, distance to
keyboard etc.  The physio can advise here.

3) The physio recommended a rolled up towel as a wrist rest - for me
that is just the thing.  It is large and soft.

4) I swapped my mouse usage to the left hand (my right hand was
worse).  It took a few months to get used to but it feels totally
natural now.  I can now mouse with both hands just fine.

RSI is a complicated disease - there are lots of different forms of it
all caused by different things.  You'll need some professional advice
to sort it out.