Isn't bool __invert__ behaviour "strange"?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Fri Sep 22 11:55:22 EDT 2006

Saizan wrote:

> Well in boolean notation -True == False and  -False == True,
> actually you may prefer ¬ or a line over the term,

(I can't remember reading "-" (minus) for a standard boolean
negation operator anywhere. Even C/C++ uses "!".)

> but since there's no such operator in python I think we should
> use "-"

Stop! What about the "not" operator? It's Python's operator for
negation.

> which is also the operator used by Bool himself in his formulation
> for negation which was 1-x.

Boole's original formulation uses some weird mathematical things to
emulate "not", "and" and "or". Focus lies on "mathematical" here.

> Now that I think of it 1-x should work as a negation in Python,
> too, since True == 1 and False == 0, but it would be a little
> annoying to write expressions in this way.

And "a little" unreadable ;)

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #445:

Browser's cookie is corrupted -- someone's been nibbling on it.