How to build extensions on Windows?

Lawrence Oluyede rhymes at myself.com
Thu Sep 7 15:17:19 EDT 2006

Jason <tenax.raccoon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about MinGW, but you can get the Microsoft compilers by
> installing Visual C++ 2005 Express.  I'm guessing the old toolkit is
> deprecated.  While you must register each Visual Studio Express module
> that you download, I don't think the actual command-line tools are
> encumbered.
>
> Why not try it out and let us know how it goes?
>
> (Visual Studio 2005 Express:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/)

Because you can't use it to distribute extensions. Python is compiled
against the 2003 version and distutils will simply don't let you compile
with the 2005 version. If you manage to hack distutils to use the 2005
anyway it won't work for sure outside your home box.

--
Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea