elementtree: line numbers and iterparse

Stuart McGraw smcg4191zz at friizz.RimoovAllZZs.com
Tue Sep 12 22:50:14 EDT 2006

I have a broad (~200K nodes) but shallow xml file
I want to parse with Elementtree.  There are too many
nodes to read into memory simultaneously so I use
iterparse() to process each node sequentially.

Now I find i need to get and save the input file line
number of each node.  Googling turned up a way
to do it by subclassing FancyTreeBuilder,
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/45f5313409553b4b?hl=en&)
but that tries to read everything at once.

Is there a way to do something similiar with iterparse()?