Resuming a program's execution after correcting error

Tuomas tuomas.vesterinen at pp.inet.fi
Thu Sep 28 13:27:38 EDT 2006

Sheldon wrote:
> Does anyone know if one can resume a python script at the error point
> after the error is corrected?
> I have a large program that take forever if I have to restart from
> scratch everytime. The error was the data writing a file so it seemed
> such a waste if all the data was lost and must be recalculated again.

May be you could put some parameter to your main loop:

start_point=begin
if start_point==begin: output=open('outputfile', 'w')
else                 : output=open('outputfile', 'a')

while start_point <= case <= end_point:

     try:
         do_complex_computation(case)
     except Exception:
         print case
         break

If you get an error you repair the program and set

start_point=case

and go on with the program.

Tuomas