tcl list to python list?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Sun Sep 17 20:44:32 EDT 2006

In article <AclPg.4515$vD2.429 at tornado.texas.rr.com>,
Paul McGuire <ptmcg at austin.rr._bogus_.com> wrote:
			.
>Er?  Thanks for the nice comments re: pyparsing, sometimes I feel a little
>self-conscious always posting these pyparsing snippets.  So I'm glad you
>clarified your intent with your "I'll be more precise" paragraph.  But I'm
>not sure I see the reason for an 18-O "No!"
>
>"Outsider"?  I'm no stranger to Tcl (although I *am* a bit rusty).  In the
			.
			.
			.
>- write a Tcl proc to recursively traverse a list, returning a stringified
>list in Python-like syntax (enclosing non-list items in ''s, separating with
>commas, nesting sublists with []'s, etc.)
			.
			.
			.
I like your work, Paul.  My comment about "outsider" was aimed
at other readers of this thread, not you; I recognize I didn't
make that clear.

I'm still unsure how the original poster wants to handle nested
lists.  I'm almost certain, though, that it's hard to teach Tcl
Python syntax (and vice-versa) for general cases.  On the other
hand, as you write in a paragraph I elided, the original
questioner might be indifferent to all the esoterica we're
imagining.

Elsewhere in this thread, I posted what I claim is a complete
solution (for *some* problem--again, I remain unsure exactly
what the target is).  I trust your judgment on its readability
compared to your pyparsing-based example.

Keep posting those examples!  I think pyparsing deserves plenty
more marketing of exactly this type.

I don't have an installation of pyparsing handy.  If this topic
interests folks, I should have another machine or two repaired
early this week, and I can more carefully trace through the
pathologies to which pyparsing of Tcl might be subject.