Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need to be?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Sep 13 04:08:52 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-13, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> writes:
>> This is just an idea of mine, nothing I expect python to adapt.
>> But just suppose the language allowed for words in bold. A word
>> in bold would be considered a reserved word, a word in non bold
>> would be an identifier.
>
> Heh, sounds like ColorForth, in which words meant different things
> depending on what color they were written in (www.colorforth.com).
> Madness, if you ask me ;-).

Well I'm sure people would be able the abuse the feature with
madness as a result. However that is nothing new.

One place where I would use such a feature is in a unittest
package.  I think being able to write self.assert or self.raise
looks better than having to append an underscore.

I once experimented with end markers in python, but I dropped
it because end.if wasn't legal python.

If python would make this distinction, one wouldn't need
to be concerned anymore that the introduction of a new
keyword would break code.

--
Antoon Pardon