Twisted vs POS (Plain-old sockets)

Darren Kirby bulliver at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 03:19:17 EDT 2006

Hey all,

I have a (FOSS) project here that I am about to start that requires TCP
networking support, and in fact, will require me to design and implement a
(text based) protocol from scratch.

I have been playing with Twisted today and managed to get a simple
client/server talking to each other. However, the twisted framework does
seem
very complex, and includes many, many, features I will never need. The docs
seem a little lacking (or perhaps just confusing) as well. Twisted's good
points are that it will save me from having to write many things from
scratch, asynchronous networking being the biggie.

I guess I am wondering if given the fact I need a custom protocol, and need
talk TCP/IP should I stick with twisted or just use plain old sockets and
build it myself? Is there a third option I should consider? Have others
found
themselves in this situation? Thoughts? Comments? I am really just fishing
for opinions here...

If it makes a difference: Depending on performance parts of this app may
well
end up as a prototype for a final (...alternative?) C++ implementation.

Thanks for consideration,

 -d