Timeline for Python?

Blair P. Houghton blair.houghton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 12:43:36 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <1159060365.363391.238090 at d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, Blair P.
> Houghton wrote:
>
> > wesley chun wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. never write against older versions of Python... you will only
> >>     obsolete your book even faster (well, "sooner")
> >
> > I believe there is some market for documentation of older
> > versions of software.  Many installations are constrained
> > by the cost of upgrading and can not migrate to a newer
> > version.
>
> And they can afford to buy books??

Buying a book costs $40, max.

An hour of upgrade wrangling costs $40, min.  And it's never just one
person involved.  And it's never just an hour.  And yes, there are
plenty of places using software, especially "free" software, for which
any expense greater than a book is a major decision.

> If they're that strapped for cash, it's cheaper to access documentation on
> the Web.

Yes, it is, but the documentation on the web doesn't make the author
any money, which is why it's poorly constructed, poorly edited,
difficult to read, inaccurate, and abandoned when the next version of
the software comes out.

If book authors are reluctant to get paid to write new books for old
versions of systems, can you imagine how few people want to maintain
old web-docs for old versions of systems?

But there's a market there for someone willing to make a few bucks, and
a publisher with the savvy to find it and serve it.

--Blair