FYI: getting data from an OpenOffice.org spreadsheet

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Sun Sep 3 20:01:50 EDT 2006

John Machin enlightened us with:
> Firstly, let me say that you are highly commended for wading so far
> into the OOo docs and producing two pieces of code that actually do
> something. I've opened up the docs two or three times, said "Waaahht
> the ...." and closed them rapidly.

Thanks. I had the same response, except that I had the gut feeling
that in the end things were going to be easy ;-)

> I don't "want" you to do anything. However the interests of
> evangelising/spreading the use of OOo software might be advanced
> were you to go the extra step or two and post a recipe for simple
> data extraction from a named file, rather than the currently open
> file. Add a few hints like what are the types of the data that you
> get back (especially how dates are distinguished from numbers, if at
> all) and you'll be a hero :-)

Sounds very tempting. I'll see what I can come up with, and write a
proper article on my website. Don't count on it being finished soon,
though, because this week is going to be very busy for me, and after
that I'll be on a two-week holiday.

Sybren
--
Sybren Stüvel