Unicode / cx_Oracle problem

Richard Schulman raschulmanxx at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 14:31:33 EDT 2006

On 10 Sep 2006 15:27:17 -0700, "John Machin" <sjmachin at lexicon.net>
wrote:

>Encode each Unicode text field in UTF-8. Write the file as a CSV file
>using Python's csv module. Read the CSV file using the same module.
>Decode the text fields from UTF-8.
>
>You need to parse the incoming line into column values (the csv module
>does this for you) and then convert each column value from
>string/Unicode to a Python type that is compatible with the Oracle type
>for that column.

John, how am I to reconcile your suggestions above with my
ActivePython 2.4 documentation, which states:

<<12.20 csv -- CSV File Reading and Writing
<<New in version 2.3.
<<Note: This version of the csv module doesn't support Unicode input.
Also, there are currently some issues regarding ASCII NUL characters.
Accordingly, all input should generally be printable ASCII to be safe.
These restrictions will be removed in the future.>>

Regards,
Richard Schulman