Javadoc style python manual?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 11:45:13 EDT 2006

Ben Sizer wrote:
> Michele Simionato wrote:
> > Ben Sizer wrote:
> > > I agree that the Python docs aren't quite as effective as reference
> > > material due to the lack of simple function and method lists though.
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/lib/modindex.html, pydoc and ipython are more
> > than enough for me.
>
> modindex is comprehensive but too 'flat'. Sometimes you want to see all
> of one object's methods and properties listed together.
>
> I was unaware of pydoc until this thread; its existence seems to be
> buried, somewhat. Looking at pydoc.org (assuming that is a good example
> of it in use), it looks more like what the original poster and I might
> want, but sadly it's still very inconsistent, with many things
> undescribed.
>
> --
> Ben Sizer

Don't miss IPython, too.

$ ipython
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Aug 25 2005, 18:20:57)

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: import email.FeedParser

In [2]: email.FeedParser.FeedParser?
Type:           classobj
String Form:    email.FeedParser.FeedParser
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/lib/python2.4/email/FeedParser.py
Docstring:
    A feed-style parser of email.

Constructor information:
Definition:     email.FeedParser.FeedParser(self, _factory=<class
email.Message.Message at 0xb77f5ddc>)
Docstring:
    _factory is called with no arguments to create a new message obj

In [3]: help(email.FeedParser.FeedParser)
Help on class FeedParser in module email.FeedParser:

class FeedParser
 |  A feed-style parser of email.
 |
 |  Methods defined here:
 |
 |  __init__(self, _factory=<class email.Message.Message>)
 |      _factory is called with no arguments to create a new message
obj

 |  close(self)
 |      Parse all remaining data and return the root message object.
 |
 |  feed(self, data)
 |      Push more data into the parser.

In [4]: email.FeedParser.FeedParser??
Type:           classobj
String Form:    email.FeedParser.FeedParser
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/lib/python2.4/email/FeedParser.py
Source:
class FeedParser:
    """A feed-style parser of email."""

    def __init__(self, _factory=Message.Message):
        """_factory is called with no arguments to create a new message
obj"""
        self._factory = _factory
        self._input = BufferedSubFile()
        self._msgstack = []
        self._parse = self._parsegen().next
        self._cur = None

Unfortunately, the nice colors of IPython are lost in the post :-(

                      Michele Simionato