egg and modpython

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Sep 12 11:29:32 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> eggs are the Python's equivalent to Java's JAR, not a RPM-like. I said
>> it was not an egg-specific issue (which is not totally accurate) because
>> it mostly have to do with loading dynamic libs (.so, .dll etc) from
>> zipped files.
>
> True. It is notable that various Java application servers (to consider
> the questioner's original problem) do unpack .war files, which probably
> share more properties with .egg files than .jar files do. Indeed, I
> don't recall a single occasion where I've ever needed to unpack .jar
> files to have them successfully used by Java programs.

AFAIK, jar files don't include native dynamic libs... But I'm not a Java
expert (happily forgot most of what I used to know about this language).

>>> Debian packages even compile the bytecode
>>> files to ensure that nothing tries (and fails) to write them to
>>> privileged locations afterwards.
>> So does eggs. But once again, eggs are *not* a general-purpose package
>> management system like apt, RPM, emerge etc...
>
> However, it seems to me that the setuptools and EasyInstall ecosystem,
> whilst a remarkable achievement, has grown in scope sufficiently to
> confuse such comparisons. Some .egg files are more than just being like
> .jar files, as I note above, and with additional dependency information
> included (as seems to be encouraged), one is suddenly required to deal
> with a system that resembles a Python-centric package and dependency
> management system rolled into one, operating in parallel with whatever
> native package manager and whatever dependency management system
> (they're typically separate things) that may be in operation.

Yes, true. But I'd still say that it's more a problem of proper
packaging (ie, an egg with dynamic libs inside should better not be
packaged as 'zip-safe') than a bug in the eggs system itself.

--
bruno desthuilliers