does anybody earn a living programming in python?

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Thu Sep 28 04:16:01 EDT 2006

Stuart Bishop wrote:
> My personal experience is that there is a shortage of good Python
> programmers. In Melbourne, Australia for example there is a continual need
> for about 2 more - one Python shop there just hires clueful developers and
> makes their first task 'learn Python'. We generally have a few positions
> open at any particular moment too - http://www.ubuntu.com/employment (but we
> are picky - it is hard to hand hold when the hand is several time zones away).

It's much easier to learn Python than it is to learn good general
software development skills, so I think that's a good approach. My
room mate here at work didn't know any Python programming before he
came, but he was fluent pretty soon. Like me, he's starting to make
stupid mistakes in C++, such as forgetting trailing ; after each line.
:)

We are fairly picky here when we employ people, but while we appreciate
that they already know Python, we don't see it as a major issue. It's
quick and easy to learn. Mentioning Python in job ads is maybe more a
way to attract people who take clever initiatives.

> On a slight tangent, one of the appealing things about Python (and other
> 'non-mainstream' languages) in the past has been that the people who knew
> Python also tended to be the people you wanted to employ - they generally
> had experience in other languages but moved onto something they perceived as
> 'better' either at work or home. It indicated a level of care and pride
> about their profession rather than someone who just treated cutting code as
> a day job.

That depends if you are an employer who wants to lead
a team of skilled professionals or if you prefer a
herd of sheep that you lead around with a stick.

So, as someone who want to be employed, you influence
what kinds of job you tend to get with what you learn.
Do you prefer a job where you are just expected to do
exactly what you are told, or are you eager to take
initiatives and change your work place to something
better?