python vs java

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:10:17 EDT 2006

Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
> 2006/9/7, Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb at xiludom.gro>:
> > I don't think one could pretend writing a cross-platform application
> > without testing it on all targeted platforms.
>
> E.g: while creating a free software, you may not have an Apple
> computer but you may want to be *possible* to run your program there.
> You don't test it, but you *think* it runs there. Not everybody has a
> spare MacOS X to test apps.

Ah, but those with the Intel Apples can run Linux, Windows, and Mac OS
X at the same time!  *grin*

Actually, that's how I'm working on my wx/Python application.  I write
it under Mac OS X and occasionally pull it into my Windows and Ubuntu
virtual machines for further testing.

> Of course, if your software *needs* to run in some particular OS then
> you have to test on it.

Certainly.  And this point should be emphasized for any cross-platform
language, especially for folk who may not have done such development
before.  The "write once, run everywhere" phrase does have a footnote.
Python's documentation is very good at pointing out what is platform
independent and what isn't, but other packages are not as thorough.

    --Jason