a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Sep 27 20:51:49 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.845.1159401951.10491.python-list at python.org>,
 "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:

> > Things like decorators and metaclasses certainly add power, but they add
> > complexity too.  It's no longer a simple language.
> >
> Well, I think a simple language is a language that makes the simple
> things simple and some of the complex things simple.  But I also like a
> language where, if I need it, I can tap into some raw power and do that
> really wild stuff.  So its simple to use if that's all you need yet
> offers the complexity to get things done that a purely "simple" language
> can't do.  I'd say its as simple as you want it to be :)

The problem is, if the complex features are there, people will use them.
On any large project, there will always be some people who revel in using
every obscure feature of a language.  That forces everybody else on the
team (and all future members of the team) to know (or learn) those features
in order to be able to use and maintain the code base.