Timeline for Python?

Blair P. Houghton blair.houghton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 21:12:45 EDT 2006

wesley chun wrote:

> 1. never write against older versions of Python... you will only
>     obsolete your book even faster (well, "sooner")

I believe there is some market for documentation of older
versions of software.  Many installations are constrained
by the cost of upgrading and can not migrate to a newer
version.  Meanwhile, they are laboring under the old
documentation, which, in the case of open-source stuff,
is often thoroughly inadequate.  Books with accurate
information would help them, and would have helped me, in
many cases.

But I don't think it's a big enough market that many people
would consider skipping the new-version market, which is
much bigger, when trying to decide what to write about.

--Blair