Duck typing alows true polymorfisim

Isaac Gouy igouy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 11:56:18 EDT 2006

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> In comp.lang.java.advocacy, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
> <jadedgamer at hotmail.com>
>  wrote
> on 31 Aug 2006 18:31:15 +0200
> <uzmdklve4.fsf at hotmail.com>:
> > The Ghost In The Machine <ewill at sirius.tg00suus7038.net> writes:
> >
> >> Also, one language is very conspicuous by its absence: C#.
> >
> > He does not date any of the updates, so it's unclear how recently it
> > has been updated (a lot of the web is stale, like a rotting tree in a
> > forest.)
>
> Aye; my webpage has a similar problem. :-)
>

> >> AmigaBasic -- Microsoft-sponsored Amiga variant
> >
> > Well, at the time Microsoft were the makers of the de-facto BASIC
> > implementations - M-BASIC for CP/M, the various variants in VC-20 and
> > C-64 and later derivates of those, and many other home computers.
> > "Sponsored" should probably be "created" instead - I assume they were
> > paid for the job.
>
> OK, "created" then. :-)
>

> >> Also, Java now has templates. (The implementation is pretty gross
> >> and has some quirks, IMO, but it's better than nothing.) C++ has a
> >> typing system ("type_of" or some such; I'd have to look) which
> >> yields little more than the mangled type name and static inheritance
> >> testing capabilities. Of course C++ doesn't have dynamic inheritance
> >> anyway.
> >
> > There's the virtual stuff, and you could conceivably implement dynamic
> > inheritance via the bare-bones C layer - like function pointers. The
> > type information in C++ (RTTI) is optional.
>
> Oh yeah, that's true.  Still not all that dynamic, though, unless
> one recompiles.
>

> >> Dynamic type creation. I don't know if Java has this or not. One can
> >> of course attempt bytecode synthesis -- I think that's what BCEL
> >> uses -- but that's a bit of a hack.
> >
> >     Groovy could possibly be used for that; also IIRC Java 6 adds some
> > features for that. I seem to recall security implications being one
> > reason this ability wasn't included from the start.
>
> Not familiar with Groovy; I'll have to look into that.
> It's amazing what's out there; one of the problems with
> Free Open Source Software (FOSS) is that there's multiple
> choices for the obvious stuff. :-)
>

> >> Dynamic method creation. Java does *not* have this. AIUI
> >> Smalltalk-80 does; one can take an existing class and add methods
> >> thereto.
> >
> > Yes, but that's because a Smalltalk program lives inside a big binary
> > "image" that is mutable. Woe unto you if that big binary file gets
> > corrupted.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I for one would want Smalltalk to have the ability to
> transcript certain messages but would have to look.
> (One might call that an edit audit trail.)

The comments "Woe unto you if that big binary file gets corrupted" are
plain wrong.

For at least 25 years (and perhaps back to Smalltalk-72?) Smalltalk
implementations have comprised an image file, a sources file, and a
change log. The change log records changes to objects, as Smalltalk
statements that can be replayed to reproduce those changes - and as
Smalltalk classes and methods are just objects, that means code changes
are recorded in the change log and can be reproduced even if the image
file is somehow corrupted.

By the late '80s, commercial Smalltalk development had adopted tightly
integrated, fine grained, multi-user version control - everytime a
method was compiled a new edition of the method was recorded in the
version control system, which really helps continuous integration
across the team.

> [...]
>
> I suppose a slightly better term would be "function overloading", since
> that's what it was called some time back.
>
> C does not have this capability, and it occasionally leads to problems
> if a program doesn't use proper design methods (such as declaring all
> methods in .h files and including them, as opposed to putting local
> extern signatures in the .C code -- yes, my prior employer had code
> that did exactly that for awhile; hopefully it's cleaned up by now since
> it's been almost 6 years :-) ).
>

> >> Globals. Java has no globals as such, unless one counts class names.
> >> C is all globals, unless one counts statics.
> >
> > Even the fully qualified classes are only "global" in the context of a
> > classloader and whatever classloaders it delegates to.
>
> Good point.
>

> >> Unnamed classes. new Runnable() { public void run() {...} } is
> >> Java's contribution. Can be useful.
> >
> > Well, they do end up with a name after compilation.
>
> Picky, picky.  :-) In any event the name is not available
> to the program source; one can't expect to do things like
>
> Runnable$1 r = new Runnable() { public void run() {...} }
>
> and hope for it to work.  One might be able to do something
> slightly silly like
>
> Class c = Class.forName("Runnable$1");
>
> c.newInstance();
>
> but for Java that's slightly problematic, especially if there's
> more than one Runnable in that class.
>
> > And you do not
> > want to open that can of worms since then you end up with Ruby and
> > Smalltalk users dragging out closures and C# and Lisp users dragging
> > out lambdas... :)
>
> Yes, well AFAICT a closure is some code with a little context; in Java
> some of the context is required to have final variables, or a method by
> which it can pick up its owning class's members or call its routines.
>

> >> Nested classes.
> >
> > Generally that's just a namespace issue. In Java, a class Fie nested
> > inside Foo is the top-level class Foo$Fie with some compiler magic to
> > ensure it's used correctly, which leads to funny stuff like
> >
> > Foo.Fie object = new Foo().new Fie();
> >
> > which gets turned into the bytecode equivalent of
> >
> > Foo$Fie object = new Foo$Fie(new Foo());
>
> Hm.
>

> >> Primitive types -- in other words, the int<->Integer dichotomy we
> >> all know and love in Java; such also exists in C++ and IINM C#. I'm
> >> not sure if Smalltalk has such a concept, or not; Smalltalk allows
> >> overrides on numbers. (In Java one might contemplate 2.toString(),
> >> for example!)
> >
> > In Smalltalk you ask the 1 object to count to 10 for a loop. It makes
> > sense there, it would not feel "right" in the C family...
>
> Or anywhere else that I know of offhand.
>

> >> Arbitrary integer size. The only language I know having this is
> >> Common LISP.
> >
> > java.math.BigInteger, but the operations you can perform are limited.
>
> Hm.  OK, "arbitrary number size with transparency".

Quite a few language implementations provide arbitrary precision
integers, I'll just mention Smalltalk again.