Running python from a usb drive

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 11 20:30:53 EDT 2006

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Steve Holden (2006-09-11 21:37 +0100)
>
>>Uwe Hoffmann wrote:

>>>is pythonpath really case insensitive on windows ?
>>
>>Only because the Windows filesystem implements case-insensitive
>>semantics. This is nothing to do with Python:
>

> That's nonsense: "Filenames are Case Sensitive on NTFS Volumes"[1]
>
> Thorsten
> [1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625/en-us

Sigh. Right, the semantics are actually inside the subsystem accessing
the filesystem, if I have to dot every I and cross every T. Note that
the reference you quote includes the test """However, if you attempt to
open one of these files in a Win32 application, such as Notepad, you
would only have access to one of the files, regardless of the case of
the filename you type in the Open File dialog box."""

So perhaps I should have said the Win32 API implements case-insensitive
semantics? Sure, if you want to use the POSIX compatibility layer it's
absolutely possible to create several files that Win32 applications will
be completely unable to distinguish between. Whatever good that might do
you.

Sheesh, the nits that get picked on this list nowadays. I can remember
when it used to be fun, not an exercise in ego inflation.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119