Tkinter on Python 2.4 on Mac OS X?

Bill Williams jwjw at zerny.invalid
Fri Sep 15 08:52:52 EDT 2006

In article <1158246366.973809.206040 at i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Ben Kovitz" <bkovitz at acm.org> wrote:

> Maybe this is a better question for me to ask:  *How* did you get
> Python 2.4 running with Tkinter on OS X?
>
> Ben Kovitz

Hi Ben

I am by no means a Python expert, but finding my way slowly. There is a
lot of documentation, but it seems hard to find the critical nuggets
among the mass. (Rather like playing Colossal Cave long ago!)

I didn't do anything special to get Python 2.4 and Tkinter running on OS
10.3.9. Just downloaded and installed MacPython OSX 2.4.1 dmg (Mar 31,
2005) and TclTk Aqua 8.4.10 dmg (June 6 2005). The IDE About box says
IDE 1.0.2, Python 2.4.1 #2 Mar 31 2005 build 1666, and it all just
works, including saving a script as an applet.

The point about applets is that one nugget of information points out
that the graphics environments like Tkinter conflict with the IDE
graphics environment, so you can't run them under the IDE, and saving as
applets was the easiest way to get stuff to run standalone.

Cheers, Bill Williams