Building Python Based Web Application

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Sep 9 14:38:39 EDT 2006

James Stroud a écrit :
> Hello All,
>
> I am interested in setting up a modest invoicing system for some
> consulting I am doing. I like the idea of managing this on the web and
> creating invoices and printing them from a browser. However, I'm not
> really sure where to start. I've played with some CMS applications, but
> they seem more for blogging (mamba, wordpress, etc.). Ideally, I would
> like to interface with mySQL (or whatever the favorite web-flavor
> database app is these days). I would like to be able to use my python
> skills.
>
> I confident that if I set out to write this from scatch, I will be
> seriously re-inventing the wheel, perhaps several times over.
>
> So, my question is, does anyone know of a book and/or some kind of
> framework that would make the best sense for what I am describing here?

Web-base front-end to a SQL database... Pylons, Turbogears or Django
comes to mind. Or a custom-made stack (see link below)...

> I've heard of Zope, but I would like to make sure its appropriate for
> the job before I spend 2 or 3 days getting acquainted with it.

Lol. Make it 2 or 3 monthes. And before you loose your time: Zope is
certainly not the best choice here.

> I'm adept
> at HTML, python, CSS, python-CGI, and interfacing with mySQL through
> DBI. I'm sure I could get something to work with these skills, but I
> want to minimize wheel re-invention as much as possible.
>
> Basically, I want a jump start on data-base oriented web development
> with a focus on applying my python skills.

This serie of articles may be of interest to you:
http://adminspotting.net/building-web-pages-with-python/

HTH