Pythondocs.info : collaborative Python documentation project

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Sat Sep 16 17:03:32 EDT 2006

nicolasfr at gmail.com wrote:
> Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>> What you should have done first is to suggest to contribute to the
>> official Python doc.
>
> I wrote an email a few months ago to the Python docs support email
> address to offer my help but never got any answer.

What did that email say?
- "Your docs suck!"? (useless)
- "Your docs aren't the most useful. May I offer to help?" (better, but
somewhat thin. And if the answer had just been "Yes." You'd be no wiser.)
- "Hey, I found this article explaining XY. I made a
tutorial/how-to/documentation-chapter, and here it is. Hope you can use
it." (fantastic/preferred)

http://www.python.org/dev/doc/ has info on how to participate.

> Everytime I am lookink at how to do this or that in Python I write it
> down somewhere on my computer. (For ex. Threading. After reading the
> official documentation I was a bit perplex. Hopefully I found an
> article an managed to implement threads with only like 20 lines of code
> in my script. That should have been in the docs first, not in an
> article elsewhere... Same problem for handling gzipped files. I wanted
> to know if the file I opened was a gzip archive or not. Not a clue in
> the docs...) I have just decided to share all this knowledge this with
> other. Community will decide if this wiki is of any interest. If not it
> will just remain my personnal notebook for Python tips...

Let me stress that contributing to the *official* docs is a lot more
rewarding and (I think) sensible. I can't stop you and I appreciate your
enthusiasm. You might however consider helping fix the dam than build
one where no water water runs.

wildemar