Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need tobe?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Sep 13 08:35:40 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-13, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>>> In general, that is true for the 21st century. But under certain
>>> circumstances, one might be forced to use a vi over a limited b/w
>>> terminal to fix that goddamn bug on the live system.
>>
>> AFAIR, even those terminals had a form of highlighting. And personnaly
>> I would think PEP 0263 would be potentially more annoying than this
>> idea in those circumstances.
>
> How so? Because some less important string literals  might be fucked up?
> Certainly can that cause trouble, but having the trouble for each and every
> keyword is a huge difference.

Viewing such an unimportant string literal might lockup your terminal,
because your terminal interprets it as somekind of control sequence.
Your keyword trouble would probably be less than looking at html code
in those circumstances.

>>> Even though you don't care about the pesky details, it boils down to
>>> introducing an escape mechanism that will surround whatever identifiers
>>> there are. Which looks crap in anything except and python-aware editor.
>>>
>>> But I bet you don't work with e.g. subversion to display diffs and the
>>> like...
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised that looking at diffs from files that use
>> PEP 0263 could look like crap too. Yes some decisions can cause
>> some tools to be less usefull. I would say that the right cause
>> of action is then to adapt those tools. Not to let something like
>> that stop your decision.
>
> The same reasoning as above applies.
>
> And sure you would say that - the day you admit to have suggested a stupid
> thing won't be in my hopefully long-standing life span.

That you don't like it, is not the same as stupid. Your two arguments
against, have nothing to do with the quality of the suggestion within
the langauge but only with problems of the envinronment.

You know, if I want, I can probably turn up some old terminal where
you can only type uppercase letters. What if under certain circumstance
I would be forced, to use this old thing. Would I then have a rightfull
complaint against python because it is case significant?

--
Antoon Pardon