no-installation version of python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Sep 23 14:26:48 EDT 2006

mr.porteiro.head at gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a stand-alone version of python out there that I can package
> with my scripts so that I don't have to bother with something like
> py2exe?

why not just ship the standard python interpreter with your applications?

just make a copy of the c:\python24 (or 25) installation directory, and
add your scripts and the Python core DLL (which is usually installed
under c:\windows\system32\python24.dll (or 25) to it.

you may want to tweak your code to explicitly set sys.path to something
nice, so that global PYTHONPATH settings (etc) won't interfere with your
application.  for extra bonus points, remove the stuff your application
doesn't need.

or you could just use py2exe.

or if you just want EXE files that you can use with an existing Python
install, use exemaker:

     http://effbot.org/zone/exemaker.htm

</F>