another distutils question

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Sep 29 16:19:16 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>> Now I get to puzzle out how to install the CGI plus images plus
>> stylesheets plus plus plus mess.  Probably a bit outside of the scope of
>> distutils even if the CGI programs are Python.  ;-)
>
> I recommend installing the data inside the package itself. In 2.4, use the
> package_data keyword in setup().
>
>    http://docs.python.org/dist/node12.html

2.4 is good.  Eventually I will upgrade to eggs but I'm making enough
changes right now to make me crazy.

maybe I am over thinking this problem.  I needed a CGI scripts to go to
a predictable place so I can build the wrappers.  For all I care, that
could be another Python module in the site-packages hierarchy (assuming
they are executable).  But I have separate targets for the images etc..
  The reason being that I organize my sites as
/var/www/{html,data,images)/<site>.  Don't ask.

So what I have seen so far says that to be able to take data from a
series of directories scatter it to other directories may be out of
scope.  It's okay.  If I have to write a wrapper, it won't be the first
time.

--- eric