Computer Language Popularity Trend

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 12:51:16 EDT 2006

cartercc at gmail.com wrote:
> You can also get a rough measure ot the popularity of web scripting
> languages from an analysis of the URLs. The last time I did this was in
> 2003, and as I recall, these were the results:
> PHP 30% and increasing
> Perl 28% and falling
> ASP 25% and falling fast
> ColdFusion 6% and steady
> Java and JSP 5% and increasing
> others, Python, Ruby, ...

At the site I'm working on, you'd see a URL like
http://www.whatever.com/login or http://www.whatever.com/boards?id=131
-- how would you count them?  Such (extensionless) URLs are far more
common in the Python, Ruby, and Java world in my experience than the
PHP, Perl, and ASP world, so my first instinct looking at your numbers
is to believe they're just biased toward languages that more often put
the extension in the URL.