a different question: can you earn a living with *just* python?

Tue Sep 26 15:38:07 EDT 2006

It's a nice thought that a person can earn a living programming with
Python, which is fun enough to use just for its own sake. But for
someone like me (i.e. no programming experience) it's always a little
disheartening to see that most (if not all) job descriptions that ask
for Python still require some C/C++ or other language knowledge. I
suppose this isn't an issue if you studied CS in college, because you
would have been exposed to many languages.

But what if you are an expert Python program and have zero clue about
other languages? Can you still earn a living that way, or do most/all
companies require multiple language proficiency?

(I suppose this isn't exactly a Python problem, either. I'm sure even
companies that don't use Python still use multiple languages. Maybe it
isn't a good idea to focus entirely on a single language, depending on
the job at hand.)