SQLObject or SQLAlchemy?

lazaridis_com ilias at lazaridis.com
Fri Sep 1 11:46:43 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Are there any major differences between these two? It seems they can
> both be used with TurboGears, and SQLAlchemy with Django. I'm just
> wondering what everyone's preference is, and why, and if there are even
> more choices for ORM.
>
> Thanks.

You can review the Persit Case, which will shortly evaluate the stated
ORM's:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Persist

It is possibly of importance to remember some requirements which should
be relevant for an persistency mechanism targetting an OO language:

Requirements

    * Uses standard OO Terminology on the API side
          o free of SQL/Relational terminology for ORM Tools
    * Transparency (minimal or no difference to standard objects of the
language)
          o Inheritance
    * Includes Automated Schema Evolution Support
          o Development Schema Evolution (focusing on simplicity and
conveniency etc.)
          o Production Schema Evolution (focusing on integrity,
stability etc.)
    * Support Standard ODBMS API's
    * Support of Standards within the language-domain (e.g. Python)