python interpreter on solaris 10

MrJean1 MrJean1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:22:11 EDT 2006

FWIIW,

On my stock Ultra 20 / Solaris 10 / Opteron box, python, idle, etc.
just run fine provided /usr/sfw/bin is in your PATH environment
variable.  That is Python 2.3.3, however.

In addition, I installed the Python 2.4.3 build for Solaris from
ActiveState and python, idle, etc. run without any glitch as well.
More at <http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/?mp=1>

Lastly, I downloaded the very latest Python 2.5 release and tried to
build that using the SUN compilers.  There are some issues with that
since this is an Opteron and not a SPARC processor.

/Jean Brouwers