Looking for opinions

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Sep 23 17:09:20 EDT 2006

crystalattice a écrit :
> I've been working on a game for several months but now I'm thinking I
> may be going about it the wrong way.  It's an online RPG designed to
> recreate a pen & paper session, kind of like the OpenRPG project.
>
> Originally I planned on doing something like OpenRPG with a Python app
> that contained everything.  But I'm thinking that approach may not be
> necessary.  Since the game would use the Internet for everyone to play
> it, maybe it would be easier/better to just make a web app w/ Python
> underpinnings.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about making a Python
> GUI and other "standalone" features that would have to be installed on
> each players computer; they could just interact via a web browser and
> IM.
>
> The code I've made so far is just a text-based "proof-of-concept" for
> the character generation to make sure I have the logic correct.  I've
> only been designing a GUI for the last few weeks and trying different
> things like Tkinter and wxPython, so building a whole web app won't set
> me back any.
>
> With that in mind, I'm looking for opinions from more experienced
> programmers.  For this project, do you think I should continue w/
> building a stand alone program or do you think making something out of
> Django/Turbogears would be better?

I have few experience with RPG softwares, but if your "domain" logic si
anything more than trivially complex, it's always better to keep it as
decoupled as possible from the user interface (unless of course the user
interface actually is the domain !-). FWIW, this doesn't prevent you
from using a web framework as the front-end...